tasknames

From: Walter Harms (WHarms@bfs.de)
Date: Sun Dec 17 2000 - 05:46:38 EST

hi list,

lately i wrote a programm to find a PID(-list) for a given name. I found it confusing that the tasks are not having a propper form of name registration.
The field int task_struct the field comm is restricted to 16 chars. Longer names can only be identified with the 'cmdline' entry from the procfs. But not every task set it e.g. kflushd and friends.

I would call to force all programm to fill the 'cmdline' entry.
Does any programm use the comm entry ? ( i dont talk about ps, print is not a use in this sense). if not the 'cmdline' could replace the comm field. It would be more flexable.
(and its already there in mm_struct)

walter

ps: i am not a memeber of this list