Re: Linus's include file strategy redux

From: Peter Samuelson (peter@cadcamlab.org)
Date: Sat Dec 16 2000 - 17:41:51 EST

[Dana Lacoste]
> Essentially, whatever solution is implemented MUST ensure :
>
> 1 - glibc will work properly (the headers in /usr/include/* don't
> change in an incompatible manner)
>
> 2 - programs that need to compile against the current kernel MUST
> be able to do so in a quasi-predictable manner.

(2) is bogus. NO program needs to compile against the current kernel
headers. The only things that need to compile against the current
kernel headers are kernel modules and perhaps libc itself. As I put it
a few days ago--

  http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=97658613604208&w=2

So for your external modules, let me suggest the lovely
/lib/modules/{version}/build/include/. Recent-ish modutils required.

Peter