Re: kernel software raid support

From: Arjan van de Ven (arjan@fenrus.demon.nl)
Date: Sat Dec 16 2000 - 08:13:49 EST

In article <008201c06760$7ecd9ee0$2b6e60cf@pcscs.com> you wrote:

> Would anybody happen to have a current list of working patches for a
> decent implementation of software raid1 using the 2.2.18 kernel that
> employs some level of read performance that exceeds that of 1 harddisk?

This may seem odd, but it is actually not possible to get a sequential read
performance > 1 harddisk with RAID1 for single-threaded ussage patterns, given
the current on-disk structures.

I have a hack in my (2.4) tree that works around this limitation, but the
on-disk format is incompatible with the stock kernel, so it is no candidate
for inclusion...

Greetings,
   Arjan van de Ven