Re: mm->context[NR_CPUS] and pci fix check [was Re: Alpha SCSI error on 2.4.0-test11]

From: Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Date: Fri Dec 15 2000 - 12:55:28 EST

On Fri, Dec 15, 2000 at 09:11:31AM -0800, David S. Miller wrote:
> Can you name the mm_struct member "context" [..]

I got you was proposing that but once we change it I preferred to use a generic
mm_arch structure (not just a context field) to have a more generic interface
in the long run. (maybe some port wants to collect something else than a MM
`context')

> Then all the code changes will make the accesses look less
> meaningful. Consider:
>
> if (CTX_VALID(mm->mm_arch))
>
> whereas before the code said:
>
> if (CTX_VALID(mm->context))
>
> which tells the reader lot more. [..]

What I propose is to convert the current:

        if (CTX_VALID(mm->context))

        if (CTX_VALID(mm->mm_arch.context))

(that's the same I did in the alpha tree from mm->context[] to
mm->mm_arch.context[])

I'm aware this way all ports actively using `mm->context' needs to be changed
but the change is certainly a no-brainer... OK?

Andrea