Re: test13-pre1 changelog

From: Oliver Xymoron (oxymoron@waste.org)
Date: Thu Dec 14 2000 - 23:58:05 EST

On Thu, 14 Dec 2000, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Dec 2000, Stephen Frost wrote:
> >
> > Any idea if these issues would cause a general slow-down of a
> > machine? For no apparent reason after 5 days running 2.4.0test12
> > everything going through my firewall (set up using iptables) I got about
> > 100ms time added on to pings and traceroutes.
>
> Probably not related to that particular bug - the netfilter issue has
> apparently been around forever, and it was just some changes in IP
> fragmentation that just made it show up as an oops.
>
> A 100ms delay sounds like some interrupt shut up or similar (and then
> timer handling makes it limp along).

Possibly related datapoint: after several days of uptime, my
2.4.0-test10pre? machine went into some sort of slow mode after coming
back from suspend (and doing an /etc/init.d/networking restart). Symptoms
seemed to be extra second or so setting up a TCP connection. Ping, etc.,
appeared to work just fine, no packet loss apparent, bandwidth looked good
too. Sadly I had to do actual work that required zippy web access, so I
rebooted rather than doing a thorough diagnostic. This is a VAIO with
compiled in eepro100, no special networking options.

Oh, and btw, test12-pre7 seems to have broken my USB camera, which worked
with the aforementioned kernel. My build of gphoto2 downloads images via
usbdevfs (ugh) and quietly created a bunch of .jpgs that were almost
entirely 0s..