Re: ANNOUNCE: Linux Kernel ORB: kORBit

From: Michael Livshin (mlivshin@bigfoot.com)
Date: Thu Dec 14 2000 - 06:46:57 EST

Chris Lattner <sabre@nondot.org> writes:

> > p9fs exists. I didn't see these patches since August, but probably I can poke
> > Roman into porting it to the current tree. 9P is quite simple and unlike
> > CORBA it had been designed for taking kernel stuff to userland. Besides,
> > authors definitely understand UNIX...
>
> One thing that you might want to mention Alexander: 9P is not a general
> communications protocol. In fact, it doesn't work very well across the
> internet at all. To get decent performance, the Plan9 group (which, is a
> very cool group. :) has to specify a new protocol that competes with TCP
> on the level of complexity (IL: http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sys/doc/il/il.html)

this might be because the Bell Labs folks don't like RPC in general
when network latencies become involved? I'm guessing.

'cause CORBA is still pretty much objectified RPC, as far as I know.
I don't think you want to abstract the network out just like that when
dealing with kernels.

--
Entropy isn't what it used to be.