Re: Signal 11 - the continuing saga

From: Mike Galbraith (mikeg@wen-online.de)
Date: Thu Dec 14 2000 - 02:22:47 EST

On Wed, 13 Dec 2000, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Dec 2000, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> >
> > Hint: "ptep_mkdirty()".

<g> rather obvious oopsie.. once spotted.

> In case you wonder why the bug was so insidious, what this caused was two
> separate problems, both of them able to cause SIGSGV's.
>
> One: we didn't mark the page table entry dirty like we were supposed to.
>
> Two: by making it writable, we also made the page shared, even if it
> wasn't supposed to be shared (so when the next process wrote to the page,
> if the swap page was shared with somebody else, the changes would show up
> even in the process that _didn't_ write to it).
>
> And "ptep_mkdirty()" is only used by swapoff, so nothing else would show
> this. Which was why it hadn't been immediately obvious that anything was
> broken.

The terminal OOM problem is now gone and I haven't seen a SIGSEGV yet
running virgin source.

        IOU 5 bogo$$

        -Mike

(I still see something with IKD that _could_ be timing related troubles.
There are a couple of grubby fingerprints I need to wipe off, and some
churn/burn hours to be sure)