Re: ANNOUNCE: Linux Kernel ORB: kORBit

From: Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 14 2000 - 00:15:59 EST

On Wed, 13 Dec 2000, Chip Salzenberg wrote:

> As long as names are to be created, or at least understood, by humans,
> there will be some limit on *usable* length. In my experience, 255 is
> above that limit, but 30 is below it. And I cut my teeth on a system
> that had exactly that length limitation (UNOS).

Maybe... I definitely agree that 14 is below the limit, but 30... Hell knows,
from what I see on the box I'm using right now it seems to fall into several
cathegories:
        * Very-Long-And-Verbose-Named-HOWTO.html
        * manpages for X and Tcl functions with obscenely long names
        * *.deb and corresponding *.diff.gz and *.dsc
        * var/state/apt/lists/*
        * ghostscript maps
Hmm... Cutoff seems to sit somewhere around 45 - above that there are only
apt-get droppings and they definitely are over the top. Dunno, you may be
right, but looks like I never had a need to create anything that long.