Re: VM problem (2.4.0-test11)

From: J . A . Magallon (jamagallon@able.es)
Date: Tue Dec 12 2000 - 18:41:19 EST

On Wed, 13 Dec 2000 00:25:25 Jussi Laako wrote:
> Marc Mutz wrote:
> >
> > Just to not miss the obvious: You know about ulimit(3)?
>
> Yes, but it doesn't stop deadlocks caused by kernel's VM system going
> wild... I think that no matter what user process does, root should be always
> able to stop it. User process should never be able to render whole system
> unusable.

That is just some issue that was discussed in this list recently. Look in the
list
for 'oom killer' subjects.
There are various patches-ways-to-do available, kernel gurus are still working
on it...
(leave always some 4% of mem for root, kill some process when mem is exhausted,
which one to kill...)

--
Juan Antonio Magallon Lacarta                                 #> cd /pub
mailto:jamagallon@able.es                                     #> more beer

Linux werewolf 2.2.18-aa1 #1 SMP Mon Dec 11 21:26:28 CET 2000 i686