Re: UP 2.2.18 makes kernels 3% faster than UP 2.4.0-test12

From: Helge Hafting (helgehaf@idb.hist.no)
Date: Tue Dec 12 2000 - 06:01:11 EST

Steven Cole wrote:
[...]
> Simple question here, and risking displaying great ignorance:
> Does it make sense to use make -jN where N is much greater than the
> number of CPUs?

No, but it makes sense to have N at least one more than the number of
cpus,
if you have the memory. This because your processes occationally
will wait for disk io, and this time may then be utilized to
run the "extra" task. But don't overdo it, as you get less disk
cache this way. make -j3 seems to be fastest on my 2-cpu machine
with 128M ram.

Helge Hafting