Re: YUP- Almost 2.2.18

From: Peter Samuelson (peter@cadcamlab.org)
Date: Mon Dec 11 2000 - 19:43:05 EST

[John O'Donnell]
> The directory of kernel headers (version 2.2.17) does not match your
> running kernel (version 2.2.18). Consequently, even if the
> compilation of the module wassuccessful, the module would not load
> into the running kernel.

> Upon inspection of /usr/src/linux/include/linux/version.h
> it plainly says 2.2.17.... ???? I changed it to 2.2.18 and all is well.

version.h is an auto-generated file (see the first four lines of the
toplevel Makefile for the correct version definition). It is generated
when you compile the kernel. If you unpacked the tree (or patched a
2.2.17 tree) *without* compiling anything, version.h (and compile.h,
which is created at about the same time) will be either missing or
wrong.

Peter