Re: Bad behavior of recv on already closed sockets.

From: kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru
Date: Mon Dec 11 2000 - 14:35:21 EST

Hello!

> Looks like it tries to read on socket which is already closed from other
> side. And it seems like recv did not return in this case. Is this OK, or
> kernel bug?

This smells like an unknown bug in kernel.

It is unknown, hence there is no workaround (but upgrading to 2.4).

It would be better to understand the issue f.e. trying to restore
the history of this descriptor.

> On the other side I see entries like this:
> httpd 4260 root 4u IPv4 12173018 TCP
> 127.0.0.1:3994->127.0.0.1:5432 (CLOSE_WAIT)
>
> And again. There is no any corresponding postmaster process. Does anyone has
> such expirience before? And what can be the reason of such strange things.

And this is bug in the application, which forgot to close file.
Descriptor leakage in httpd or it is blocked at some another job.

But remembering about the first case, I am not so sure.
What does httpd make this time?

Alexey