Re: UP 2.2.18 makes kernels 3% faster than UP 2.4.0-test12

From: John Fremlin (vii@penguinpowered.com)
Date: Mon Dec 11 2000 - 13:16:43 EST

 Steven Cole <scole@lanl.gov> writes:

[...]

> In each case, the task and the tools used are the same. The only
> difference was the kernel used. In both cases, 2.2.18 won by 3%.
> Its comparing apples to apples and oranges to oranges. Granted 3%
> isn't very much, but I would have guessed that 2.4.0 would have been
> the winner. It wasn't, at least for this single processor machine.

Two points: (1) gcc 2.95 makes slightly slower code than egcs-1.1
(according to benchmarks on gcc.gnu.org) so compile 2.4 kernel with
egcs for a fairer comparison. (2) The new VM was a performance
regression for throughput.

I think that it is important that the extent of the indisputable
performance decreases be quantified and traced. For me there was a
subjective performance peak around 2.3.48 IIRC, though it might have
been before. Andrea Archangeli has a VM patch that seems to
help in some cases.

It would be interesting to run a series of (automated) tests on a lot
of kernel versions, and to see how far performance is behind FreeBSD
(or even NetBSD).

[...]