Re: 2.2.18pre25, S3, AMD K6-2, and MTRR....

From: David Wragg (dpw@doc.ic.ac.uk)
Date: Sun Dec 10 2000 - 13:20:31 EST

"Victor J. Orlikowski" <v.j.orlikowski@gte.net> writes:
> This is precisely my problem.
> K6-2, model 8, stepping 12.
> Thus far, everything is *fine*, as long as MTRR is not compiled into
> the kernel.
> If MTRR is compiled into the kernel, I get lock-ups in X *only*, and
> the entire machine locks.

Just to check the important facts (correct any of this if it is
wrong): In 2.2.18, the problem appears when you enable MTRR support,
but goes away when you disable MTRR support. You are using the vesafb
driver. You are running XFree86-3.x.

Are you passing any vesafb options on the kernel command line?

If not, this is very strange, because the 2.2.18 mtrr.c (or any other)
should not be touching the MTRR registers (or whatever the K6 calls
them) unless you do something to /proc/mtrr.

If I understood why the MTRR driver was doing something on the K6-2,
then model-specific differences might make some sense. But currently,
I don't see why there would be any difference between "MTRR disabled"
and "MTRR enabled, but not used".

David Wragg