Re: [Fwd: NTFS repair tools]

From: Jeff V. Merkey (jmerkey@vger.timpanogas.org)
Date: Fri Dec 08 2000 - 13:31:58 EST

On Fri, Dec 08, 2000 at 01:55:43PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> > somewhere in the thousands. Is NTFS write stable enough now in 2.4 to
> > fix these problems, if so, can we DISABLE by REMOVING write code in the
>
> It says DANGEROUS in big letters on the configuration option. We are now
> down to the level of people who don't understand 'smoking kills you' in big
> letters on packaging, and people using very old trees that merely warned you
> that it was a very bad idea

I agree that if you give a mentally unbalanced person a firearm, they might
shoot themselves with it. I am suggesting we take away their firearm. Write
support for NTFS is useful for migrating from Linux to NT, R/O support is
useful for migrating NT to Linux. We won't be giving anything up. I think
just putting in a nastier warning message would suffice.

Jeff