cyrix III by via

From: Eric Estabrooks (estabroo@talkware.net)
Date: Thu Dec 07 2000 - 19:01:24 EST

I am not a subscriber to this list, but I thought this was important
information (which you might already have).

The cyrixIII chips by via have the centaur vendor id which causes the
identify_cpu call in arch/i386/kernel/setup.c to fail. It is probably
reasonable for it to have the centaur id as via owns centaur as well. I
just replaced the centaur_model call with the cyrix_model one, but I
know that I am using a cyrix chip.

A test probably needs to be added in the centaur_model section to test
for the cyrixIII in disguise.

The error is a general protection fault.

Sorry if this is old hat,

Eric Estabrooks
    estabroo@talkware.net