Re: 2.4.0-test12-pre7

From: Kai Germaschewski (kai@thphy.uni-duesseldorf.de)
Date: Thu Dec 07 2000 - 14:01:13 EST

On Thu, 7 Dec 2000, Russell King wrote:

> Linus Torvalds writes:
> > - me: UHCI drivers really need to enable bus mastering.
>
> But it'll already be turned on if pci_assign_unassigned_resources() is
> called. This calls pdev_enable_device for every single device, which
> turns on the bus master bit in the PCI command register.

Maybe I'm stating something which is obvious to everybody, but note
that pci_assign_unassigned_resources is only called from

./arch/alpha/kernel/pci.c: pci_assign_unassigned_resources();
./arch/mips/ddb5074/pci.c: pci_assign_unassigned_resources();
./arch/arm/kernel/bios32.c: pci_assign_unassigned_resources();

so it looks like most archs don't use it anyway. (And that's supposedly
why pci_set_master helped people on x86)

--Kai