Re: YMF PCI - thanks, glitches, patches (fwd)

From: Pete Zaitcev (zaitcev@metabyte.com)
Date: Wed Dec 06 2000 - 18:12:22 EST

> Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 15:00:38 -0500 (EST)
> From: Pavel Roskin <proski@gnu.org>
> To: Pete Zaitcev <zaitcev@metabyte.com>
> Subject: Re: YMF PCI - thanks, glitches, patches (fwd)

> > > Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 13:12:13 -0500 (EST)
> > > From: Pavel Roskin <proski@gnu.org>
> > > cc: Jaroslav Kysela <perex@suse.cz>, Pete Zaitcev <zaitcev@metabyte.com>,
> > > <peter@cadcamlab.org>, <kai@thphy.uni-duesseldorf.de>
> >
> > > The native YMF PCI driver from Linux-2.4.0-test12-pre5 works on my card:
> >
> > I did not have a chance to look at whatever is in 2.4, but from
> > reading Linus's e-mails I understand that Jaroslav made a new
> > port, which is probably unrelated to the stuff that I hastily
> > cooked up for 2.2 (I really wanted to play Doom on my new Sony).
>
> :-)))

I just found a message from Linus that says:

  The other change is that I forward-ported the ymfpci driver from 2.2.18,
  as it works better than the ALSA one on my now-to-be-main-laptop ;)

(in http://boudicca.tux.org/hypermail/linux-kernel/2000week50/0200.html)

Now I know why error messages looked so familiar. :)
In other words, Jaroslav was not involved.

I'll see what Linus did and send him updates, if any.

> But please note that opl3 is not enabled by the new driver, so people do
> lose some functionality they used to have.

I'll try to understand what this is all about. Honestly,
I do not know how OPL3 works and who uses it (it's a MIDI
thing, isn't it?)

--Pete