64bit offsets for block devices ?

From: Reto Baettig (baettig@scs.ch)
Date: Wed Dec 06 2000 - 09:50:15 EST

Hi

Imagine we have a virtual disk which provides a 64bit (sparse) address
room. Unfortunately we can not use it as a block device because in a lot
of places (including buffer_head structure), we're using a long or even
an int for the block number.

Is there any way of getting a standardized way of doing I/O to a block
device which could handle 64bit addresses for the block number?

Don't you think that we will run into problems anyway because soon there
will be raid systems with a couple of Terrabytes of space to waste for
mp3's ;-)

        Reto