Re: [RFC-2] Configuring Synchronous Interfaces in Linux

From: Ivan Passos (lists@cyclades.com)
Date: Tue Dec 05 2000 - 14:46:49 EST

On Tue, 5 Dec 2000, Mark Cooke wrote:

> struct foo {
> unsigned int crufty_compatability_number;
> .
> .
> .
> };
>
> ?

The problem is not this, but structure alignment and copy_[to|from]_user
operations. This approach, although it's my preferred one (due to being
self-contained), requires synchronization between kernel and utility, and
this sometimes is not always true.

Anyhow, I still prefer this approach over the "tons of different ioctl's"
one. I'd like to get the opinion of the community though (especially
Alan).

Later,
Ivan