Re: test12-pre5

From: Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 05 2000 - 13:59:34 EST

On Tue, 5 Dec 2000, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> > So Stephen is right wrt fsync() (it will not get that stuff on disk).
> > However, it's not a bug - if that crap will not end up on disk we
> > will only win.
>
> Stephen is _wrong_ wrt fsync().
>
> Why?
>
> Think about it for a second. How the hell could you even _call_ fsync() on
> a file that no longer exists, and has no file handles open to it?
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
clear_inode() <- dispose_list() <- prune_icache().

IOW, if file still exists, but is closed by everyone, etc. you _can_
get clear_inode() on it. <thinks> Ah, I see your point. OK, how about that:
        * clear_inode() _can_ be called for still-alive objects.
        * no matter how it is called, we don't give a damn for the stuff
on the list.
        * moreover, if it gets called for object that is still alive the
list is just empty. It doesn't contain anything valuable (as in every
case) _and_ it doesn't contain random crap.

If that's what you were talking about - fine with me.