Re: negative NFS cookies: bad C library or bad kernel?

From: Kevin Buhr (buhr@stat.wisc.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 04 2000 - 00:28:02 EST

Trond Myklebust <trond.myklebust@fys.uio.no> writes:

> The problem then arises that lseek tries to cram both a returned
> offset and an error value into the return values.

Oops. You're right; I didn't think of this.

So, I guess the best short-term solution is to fix the C library so it
always uses llseek for directories and never tries something stupid
like a SEEK_CUR. Then, at least it'll always work for NFSv2. I'll
file a bug report.

At the same time, a patch for CFS to use "small" (from a little-endian
perspective) cookies couldn't hurt, so I'll do that, too.

Thanks for the help.

Kevin <buhr@stat.wisc.edu>