Re: [RFC] Configuring synchronous interfaces in Linux

From: Chris Wedgwood (cw@f00f.org)
Date: Sat Dec 02 2000 - 13:59:58 EST

On Sat, Dec 02, 2000 at 11:09:35AM -0500, Donald Becker wrote:

    On Fri, 1 Dec 2000, Francois Romieu wrote:

> Russell King <rmk@arm.linux.org.uk> écrit :
> [...]
> > We already have a standard interface for this, but many drivers do not
> > support it. Its called "ifconfig eth0 media xxx":

    Uhmmm, it's not a standard if "many drivers do not support it".

    It is very easy to hack up code to handle one or two drivers.
    But you shouldn't claim the problem is fixed until the approach is tested
    with all of the driver.

    Hey, I'll make it easy. Find an approach that fully handles only the Tulip
    and 3c59x drivers, and that is consistent.

Actually, I starteed work on adding this to the 3c59x code last
night; I am now a little dispondent though as it wasn't as simple as
I first thought it might be.

I am now wondering whether it make sense to break 3c59x into smaller
peices which hander fewer cards each; there soom to be many things
the driver knows about which probably don't relate to my needs.

 --cw