Re: rocketport pci question... it stopped working after 250 days uptime

From: Federico Grau (donfede@casagrau.org)
Date: Sat Dec 02 2000 - 04:18:33 EST

Ok,

I have another box which has had the same failure (rocketport serial ports
stoped working after 248 days and 16 hours). I have about 2 more hours before
I need to reboot the box and get it back into production.

I have both a working and non-working example, where I have re-compiled and
re-loaded the rocketport module with the debugging info turned on.

On my working example:
    # when I load the module the init function gets called
        int rp_init(void)

    # when I cat from the tty device the open function gets called
        static int rp_open(struct tty_struct *tty, struct file * filp) #

    # then somehow automagically the rp_handle_port() gets called by
    # rp_do_poll()... and data gets read
        void rp_handle_port(struct r_port *info)
        static void rp_do_poll(void)

On my non-working example:
    # the init and the open seem to hapen fine, however the rp_do_poll() never
    # gets called?!

I see that in rp_init(), rp_do_poll() gets saved to a "structure" called
"timer_table[COMTROL_TIMER].fn = rp_do_poll;", however I have yet to find what
that is.

Where else could I look to find the problem?

I am working with kernel 2.2.14 (/usr/src/linux/drivers/char/rocket.c), which
except for two lines is the same in 2.2.17. I am not yet subscribed to the
kernel list, so please cc responses to me.

Thanks,
donfede