SO_RCVTIMEO and SO_SNDTIMEO implemented? manpage says no, kernel yes?

From: bert hubert (ahu@ds9a.nl)
Date: Thu Nov 30 2000 - 14:20:43 EST

Hi,

I was reading the works of Stevens, and saw the very neat SO_RCVTIMEO and
SO_SNDTIMEO features mentioned. Socket.7 told me that these socket
options aren't implemented:

       SO_RCVTIMEO and SO_SNDTIMEO
              Specify the sending or receiving timeouts until
              reporting an error. They are fixed to a protocol
              specific setting in Linux and cannot be read or
              written. Their functionality can be emulated using
              alarm(2) or setitimer(2).

However, reading 2.4.0test10 net/core/sock.c appears to indicate that the
kernel at least does some of the work. Does anybody know if these socket
options work as they should under Linux, and if so, which versions?

I might even whip up a better entry for the manpage if given enough data.

Regards,

bert hubert

--
PowerDNS                     Versatile DNS Services
Trilab                       The Technology People