Re: 'holey files' not holey enough.

From: Andreas Dilger (adilger@turbolinux.com)
Date: Thu Nov 30 2000 - 12:45:23 EST

Adam writes:
> I just did what suggested, and it seems that DU reports correct values,
> I have attached 'sript' log of the above example on my filesystem.
> Here are some highlights:
>
> [adam@pepsi /tmp]$ ls -lis holed.file
> 3085069 5872 -rw-rw-r-- 1 adam adam 6000000 Nov 30 09:11 holed.file
>
> Block size = 4096, fragment size = 4096
> Links: 1 Blockcount: 11744
> TOTAL: 1468
>
> so it seems DU reports correct values as :
> 11744/2=5872
> and
> 4096*1468=6012928

I guess the next thing to check is if your "dd" is actually seeking, or
just pretending to... Maybe an strace of the "dd" call will tell us if
it is screwing with our minds. Also, if you could make a scratch ext2
filesystem with 1k blocks, and see if it does the same thing. Even
better would be to try a different kernel to see if it affects this.

Cheers, Andreas