Re: IDE-SCSI/HPT366 Problem

From: Mike A. Harris (mharris@opensourceadvocate.org)
Date: Wed Nov 29 2000 - 20:08:55 EST

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, Kurt Garloff wrote:

>Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 19:14:02 +0100
>From: Kurt Garloff <kurt@garloff.de>
>To: --Damacus Porteng-- <kernel@bastion.yi.org>
>Cc: Linux kernel list <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>
>Subject: Re: IDE-SCSI/HPT366 Problem
>
>On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 01:06:16PM -0600, --Damacus Porteng-- wrote:
>> Problem:
>> The problem lies with using my EIDE CDRW - I set it up properly using
>> IDE-SCSI. I can use my mp3tocdda shell script to encode mp3s to CD
>> (uses cdrecord as well) on the fly using either drive, however, when I
>> use cdrecord to write a data CD, the system hard-locks, no kernel
>> panic messages, and no Magic SysRQ keystroke works.
>>
>> Quite odd that I could do the cdrecord for audio tracks, but not
>> data..
>
>Strange. If you read data from the harddisk on an IDE channel and write it
>(with cdrecord) to some CDRW on the same IDE channel, you have to expect
>trouble: As with IDE there is no disconnect from the bus (as opposed to
>SCSI), you risk buffer underruns.
>A lockup however is not to be expected :-(

I reported this before as well. Blanking a CDRW on an IDE writer
and trying to mount a cdrom on an IDE reader on the slave on the
same IDE channel produces a dual oops. I got an initial response
from Alan, and I believe Jens Axboe, and never heard about it
again. I dunno if it was fixed or not. It still oops's though.

      Mike A. Harris - Linux advocate - Open source advocate
          This message is copyright 2000, all rights reserved.
  Views expressed are my own, not necessarily shared by my employer.