Re: modutils-2.3.21: modprobe looping

From: Kurt Garloff (garloff@suse.de)
Date: Tue Nov 28 2000 - 19:48:40 EST

On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 10:24:48PM +0100, Kurt Garloff wrote:
> This is a pity, because I think the current behaviour is not acceptable,
> as it can kill the machine by just being invoked by kmod.
> I will try to make sense out of the code and make sure that modprobe
> will not go crazy, by either detecting loops (if I can do that in a way
> wihtout breaking things) or by limiting the recursion depth. I'll send
> you a patch.

Find it attached. As the dependency generation looked indeed rather
cumbersome to me, I didn't really touch it. I just did implement the
recursion limit to prevent the modprobe process grabbing all the memory of
the system ...
root@cantaloupe:~ > modprobe -k pppoe
modprobe: Too deep recursion in module dependencies!
modprobe: Circular dependency? pppox pppoe
Aborted

Regards,

--
Kurt Garloff  <garloff@suse.de>                          Eindhoven, NL
GPG key: See mail header, key servers         Linux kernel development