problem with hp C1537A tape drives

From: Paul Jakma (paulj@itg.ie)
Date: Sun Nov 26 2000 - 10:33:00 EST

I have a problem with the aforementioned DDS-3 tape drives. I'm using
one with amanda for backups. But every now and then the nightly backup
fails with "I/O error" and i see the following in the system logs:

st0: Error with sense data: [valid=0] Info fld=0x0, Current st09:00:
sense key Aborted Command
Additional Sense indicates Data phase error

I try various things to get the drive to work again -> mt rewind, mt
retension, load and unload the tape. "scsi remove-single-device" ->
power off drive -> power up -> "scsi add-single-device". (it's not the
tape cause i've tried replacing tapes).

but nothing helps. now it mightn't be unreasonable to say the drive is
faulty, so i replaced the drive with an identical C1537A. And... same
thing happens again: after a couple of weeks of good backups i get the
same problem again.

Is there a known problem with SCSI tape drives? or with HP DDS-3
drives? What does the kernel error message mean? (it's all 0's so not
much i guess). What is a "Data Phase error"?

thanks in advance,

Paul Jakma.