Re: How to transfer memory from PCI memory directly to user space safely and portable?

From: Philipp Rumpf (prumpf@parcelfarce.linux.theplanet.co.uk)
Date: Sun Nov 26 2000 - 10:11:20 EST

On Sun, Nov 26, 2000 at 02:21:31PM +0100, Anders Torger wrote:
> memcpy_toio(iobase, user_space_src, count);

I hope count isn't provided by userspace here ?

> 1. What happens if the user space memory is swapped to disk? Will
> verify_area() make sure that the memory is in physical RAM when it returns,
> or will it return -EFAULT, or will something even worse happen?

On i386, you'll sleep implicitly waiting for the page fault to be handled; in
the generic case, anything could happen.

> 2. Is this code really portable? I currently have an I386 architecture, and I
> could use copy_to/from_user on that instead, but that is not portable. Now,
> by using memcpy_to/fromio instead, is this code fully portable?

No. It would be portable if you were using memcpy_fromuser_toio and it
existed.

> 3. Will the current process always be the correct one? The copy functions is
> directly initiated by the user, and not through an interrupt, so I think the
> user space mapping will always be to the correct process. Is that correct?

current should be fine if you're not in a bh/interrupt/kernel thread.