Fasttrak100 questions...

From: James Lamanna (jlamanna@its.caltech.edu)
Date: Fri Nov 24 2000 - 17:46:32 EST

So, I have a system that has 2 45GB IDE drives connected
up to a Promise Technologies Fasttrack 100.
Promise Techonologies currently has a driver that you can compile
against a 2.2 kernel into a module, but it also includes one
proprietary object file.
During my linux installation I was able to preload the module and
have it detect the drives fine as a scsi device, so I was able to
install the base system onto them.

The question is, is there a way to compile this module into the kernel
so that it will automatically detect the card? A simple linking of the
module into the scsi library by editing the Makefile doesn't seem to do
it. It doesn't detect the drives if I boot off of a floppy with this
kernel on it.

Also, is it possible for Lilo to even boot this without a RAM disk
somewhere? I guess Lilo has to know about the drive, but it can't know
without the module...so am I screwed into using floppies with a
RAM disk image anyways?

Thanks,
--James Lamanna