Re: gcc-2.95.2-51 is buggy

From: Neil Brown (neilb@cse.unsw.edu.au)
Date: Fri Nov 24 2000 - 00:44:26 EST

On Friday November 24, Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl wrote:
> >> ... RedHat's GCC snapshot "2.96" handles this case just fine.
>
> > Now, if you can isolate the relevant part of the diff between
> > 2.95.2 and RH 2.96...
>
> Maybe I have to be more precise in the statement "gcc 2.95.2 is buggy".
>
> I just installed gcc 2.95.2 freshly ftp'ed from ftp.gnu.org, and

> So, not all versions of gcc 2.95.2 are equal.
>
> % rpm -qf /usr/bin/gcc
> gcc-2.95.2-51
>
> This is from a SuSE distribution, I forget which, not very recent.
> Revised summary: gcc-2.95.2-51 from SuSE is buggy.

Ditto for gcc-2.95.2-13 from Debian (potato). It exhibits the same
bug.
Debian applies a total of 49 patches to gcc and the libraries.

I am tempted to write a little script which discards the patches one
by one and re-builds and re-tests each time, and leave it going all
night.... but I'm not sure if I actually will.

NeilBrown