Re: BTTV detection broken in 2.4.0-test11-pre5

From: David Ford (david@linux.com)
Date: Sun Nov 19 2000 - 05:46:32 EST

Gerd Knorr wrote:

> Why? What is the point in compiling bttv statically into the kernel?
> Unlike filesystems/ide/scsi/... you don't need it to get the box up.
> No problem to compile the driver as module and configure it with
> /etc/modules.conf ...

Huh?

Some systems are built without module support for numerous reasons. I don't
need 50% of the entire kernel to get the box up, but I surely use it and I
don't want 100 modules loaded. There is an introduced security weakness by
using kernels. There are module races. There are ...

So..what is the point in making it modular? ..if it's in use the entire time
the machine is booted?

-d