opl3.o initialization problems in 2.4

From: Thomas Molina (tmolina@home.com)
Date: Tue Nov 14 2000 - 13:32:43 EST

I continue to see apparent interaction problems between sb.o and opl3.o
during system initialization. Several people have reported problems
with the opl3.o module not loading or not working properly. A
workaround was developed which results in a functional system; if sb.o
is compiled as built-in and opl3.o is compiled modular things work.

My working theory is that the soundcard must be initialized and the
driver functioning before the opl3 module can initialize its function on
the card. Currently, the opl3 code is executed before the soundcard
code and is unable to initialize the fm synthesizer.

I hate to reignite the link order war, but I would appreciate a
clarification of the situation.