Re: Modprobe local root exploit

From: Florian Weimer (Florian.Weimer@RUS.Uni-Stuttgart.DE)
Date: Tue Nov 14 2000 - 04:19:31 EST

Keith Owens <kaos@ocs.com.au> writes:

> All these patches against request_module are attacking the problem at
> the wrong point.

Agreed.

> The kernel can request any module name it likes, using any string it
> likes, as long as the kernel generates the name. The real problem
> is when the kernel blindly accepts some user input and passes it
> straight to modprobe, then the kernel is acting like a setuid
> wrapper for a program that was never designed to run setuid.

I don't think it's a good idea to distribute such stuff over the whole
kernel. Better control it at a single place, either when passing the
parameter down to modprobe, or in modprobe itself. Everything else is
too error-prone.

--
Florian Weimer 	                  Florian.Weimer@RUS.Uni-Stuttgart.DE
University of Stuttgart           http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/