Re: State of Posix compliance in v2.2/v2.4 kernel?

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Mon Nov 13 2000 - 11:17:27 EST

Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> Well, it does not do its best. There are several areas where kernel should
> help, things like POSIX semaphores would be much faster with kernel support,
> likewise threads if some things Ulrich stated here a couple of months
> ago were done in the kernel,

Would it be reasonable to have these needs documented in a central
location, with patches attached where possible?

Making people other than Linus aware of the technical issues can only
benefit the cause of POSIX compliancy, IMHO...

> POSIX message queue passing is not doable in
> userland without kernel help either (I have a message queue filesystem
> kernel patch for this, but it is a 2.5 thing).

If its small and standalone and doesn't touch existing infrastructure...

Regards,

        Jeff

--
Jeff Garzik             |
Building 1024           | The chief enemy of creativity is "good" sense