Re: Q: nfs over tcp status ?

From: Neil Brown (neilb@cse.unsw.edu.au)
Date: Sun Nov 12 2000 - 19:10:00 EST

(please remove linux-kernel from future followups)

On Sunday November 12, Andre.Holzner@cern.ch wrote:
> Hello,
>
> (I hope this is not the wrong mailing list to ask this question..)

Not "wrong" exactly, but not "best" either.
Look in the MAINTAINERS file of a recent kernel source tree, look for
references to NFS, and see if any mailing lists are suggested.
You should find
   nfs@lists.sourceforge.net

> Does somebody know what the status of the support of nfs
> via tcp (instead of udp) of Linux is ? Is there a version
> supporting this (client and server) ? Are there some
> plans to support this under Linux ?

The client side support for nfs/tcp is all there in late 2.2.18
pre-patches, and patches for earlier kernels are available. See
   http://nfs.sourceforge.net
for details.
Client side support is also in 2.4.0 test releases.

The server side is much less mature. I believe that when 2.2.18 comes
out it will have nfs/tcp server as a 'experimental' compile time
options. Much of the same code is in 2.4.0-testX, but I don't think
the compile time option is there, you need to edit the code to enable
it.

NeilBrown