Re: bzImage ~ 900K with i386 test11-pre2

From: Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Date: Sun Nov 12 2000 - 18:03:12 EST

On Sun, Nov 12, 2000 at 12:20:19PM -0700, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> Actually it just occurred to me that this stack assess is buggy. You haven't
> set up a stack yet so. [..]

Yes, ss and esp are inherit from the decompression code right now.

> [..] Only the boot/compressed/head.S did and that location
> isn't safe to use.

It's 0x90000 here and that's safe. However I see it should been something like
0x1037a0 instead and it would overwrite 4 bytes of decompressed image, not
sure why it happens to be safe right now hmm.

About ss I'd still depend on the decompression code to give back the sane
segmented environment.

Andrea