Re: Where is it written?

From: Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Date: Sat Nov 11 2000 - 10:32:04 EST

On Fri, Nov 10, 2000 at 07:27:51PM -0500, Michael Meissner wrote:
> Don't get me wrong -- in my 25 years of compiler hacking, I've never seen an
> ABI that I was completely happy with, [..]

Ok, but I've seen only one that I'm completly unhappy with. Can you think at
one case where it's better to push the parameter on the stack instead of
passing them through the callee clobbered ebx/eax/edx? Saving the pushes makes
a relevant performance difference (that's why we have FASTCALL in kernel to use
the sane calling convention even with the <2.95 gcc in fast paths).

Andrea