Re: [ANNOUNCE] Generalised Kernel Hooks Interface (GKHI)

From: Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Date: Fri Nov 10 2000 - 23:57:45 EST

On Fri, 10 Nov 2000 19:29:26 -0800,
"Matt D. Robinson" <yakker@alacritech.com> wrote:
>We're removing lcrash from
>the kernel, putting it into its own RPM, and adding patches to the
>kernel for LKCD that build in crash dump functionality and make a new
>"Kernsyms" file so that we can dynamically read the symbol table of
>major parts of the kernel and give you memory dumps, stack traces,
>and even dump out entire structures dynamically.

kallsyms goes a long way towards solving the symbol table problem for
debugging. It really only has three deficiencies, it does not detail
structure fields, it does not handle automatic variables and it does
not have source line numbers. All of those need the sort of detail
provided by gcc -g, but the amount of data that generates is
prohibitively large, 40+ megabytes is a bit much to load into kernel
space. I reluctantly decided that printing global addresses and
offsets was the best I could do, given the space constraints.

Instead of inventing your own kernsyms file, take a look at kallsyms.
It handles modules as well as the kernel. Let me know if you want any
additional data in kallsyms.