Re: [ANNOUNCE] Generalised Kernel Hooks Interface (GKHI)

From: Christoph Rohland (cr@sap.com)
Date: Fri Nov 10 2000 - 03:42:30 EST

Hi Ingo,

On Thu, 9 Nov 2000, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Nov 2000, Larry McVoy wrote:
>
>> smart about that stuff, are least it seems so to me; he seems to be
>> well aware that 99.9999% of the hardware in the world isn't big
>> iron and never will be, so something approximating 99% of the
>> effort should be going towards the common platforms, not the
>> uncommon ones.
>
> yep, this is true. Still Linux appears to perform remarkably well on
> so-called 'big iron'.

Thanks Ingo, I agree to this and also agree that we should try to be
able to run (mostly) everything from the same code base and I think
that's Linux does a great job on this.

Having a seperated code base for 0.0001% of mission critical servers
will lead to very bad availability or very high development cost at
least. In the worst (and not so unprobable) case it will lead to a lot
of games with licenses and 'intellectual property'. This would mean
that Linux fails to deliver on its promises IMHO.

Greetings
                Christoph