Re: [ANNOUNCE] Generalised Kernel Hooks Interface (GKHI)

From: Michael Rothwell (rothwell@holly-springs.nc.us)
Date: Thu Nov 09 2000 - 08:43:14 EST

Alan Cox wrote:

> RTLinux is hardly a fork. UcLinux is a fork, it has its own mailing list, web
> site and everything. Post 2.4 I'm still very interested in spending time merging
> the 2.4 uc and the main tree. I think it can be done and they are doing it in
> a way that leads logically to this.

And how would a hypothetical Advanced Linux Kernel Project be different?
Set aside the GKHI and the issue of binary-only hook modules; how would
an "enterprise" fork be any different than RT or UC? It'll go off,
change and add some things, and then perhaps be merged back in later. In
the meantime, developers who want to add "enterpriseness" to Linux will
have an outlet and won't have to simply gripe on this list anymore. And
users who want an "enterprise" kernel can get one.

-M