Re: Installing kernel 2.4

From: David Woodhouse (dwmw2@infradead.org)
Date: Thu Nov 09 2000 - 08:25:50 EST

jas88@cam.ac.uk said:
> I think a default whereby the kernel built will run on any
> Linux-capable machine of that architecture would be sensible - so if I
> grab the 2.4.0t10 tarball and build it now, with no changes, I'll be
> able to boot the kernel on any x86 machine.

I have four machines on my desk at the moment. The workstation is a dual
P-III. I suppose I agree that it might be nice if the kernel for that also
worked on the embedded 386 board. But it'd also be nice if it worked on the
Alpha and the SH boards which are also on my desk. How about putting the
whole lot into a single kernel image? It's the logical extension of what's
being suggested.

--
dwmw2