Re: [ANNOUNCE] Generalised Kernel Hooks Interface (GKHI)

From: Larry McVoy (lm@bitmover.com)
Date: Thu Nov 09 2000 - 02:53:12 EST

On Thu, Nov 09, 2000 at 08:44:11AM +0100, Christoph Rohland wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> On Wed, 08 Nov 2000, Michael Rothwell wrote:
> > Sounds great; unfortunately, the core group has spoken out against a
> > modular kernel.
> >
> > Perhaps IBM should get together with SGI, HP and other interested
> > parties and start an Advanced Linux Kernel Project. Then they can
> > run off and make their scalable, modular, enterprise kernel and the
> > Linus Version can always merge back in features from it.
>
> *Are you crazy?* =:-0
>
> Proposing proprietary kernel extensions to establish an enterprise
> kernel? No thanks!

Actually, I think this idea is a good one. I'm a big opponent of all the
big iron feature bloat getting into the kernel, and if SGI et al want to
go off and do their own thing, that's fine with me. As long as Linus
continues in his current role, I doubt much of anything that the big iron
boys do will really make it back into the generic kernel. Linus is really
smart about that stuff, are least it seems so to me; he seems to be well
aware that 99.9999% of the hardware in the world isn't big iron and never
will be, so something approximating 99% of the effort should be going towards
the common platforms, not the uncommon ones.

--
---