Re: Persistent module storage - modutils design

From: Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Date: Thu Nov 09 2000 - 00:25:10 EST

On 8 Nov 2000 21:09:49 -0800,
"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@zytor.com> wrote:
>Remember that we cannot rely on ANY form of persistent storage to be
>available in the beginning; / may very well be readonly (on a ROM,
>say.) Since that means that we can't rely on writable storage being
>available until at least one other filesystem has been mounted, it
>might as well be the standard for variable data, i.e. /var.

Agreed. Default is /var/lib/modules-persist. People who have a
separate /var partition that is mounted after modules are loaded can
use / and specify

persist /lib/modules/persist

in /etc/modules.conf. If you have a separate /var and you do not want
to write to /, change your initialization scripts to load modules after
mounting /var.