tcp/ip connections and downed/removed netdevs

From: Marcus Meissner (Marcus.Meissner@caldera.de)
Date: Wed Nov 08 2000 - 14:18:40 EST

Hi,

I have a rather strange problem in regard to routing and tcp/ip connections.

My setup:
        - default route to eth0, metric 2
        - ppp dialin to static ip (ppp0), is another default route, metric 0

I open a telnet connection over the ppp0 interface.

I then down and remove the ppp0 interface (ifconfig -a ppp0 shows 'no such
device'), the default route over ppp0 is gone.

Symptom:
        The telnet connection hangs.

        No packets are transmitted over the still alive eth0 defaultroute.
        tcpdump -i eth0 shows 0 packets, "netstata -a" shows an increasing
        SendQ on the connection.

        If I dialin again, the still hanging packets get transmitted to
        the target.

I am not sure, but should this be?

Shouldn't packets get routed over eth0 in the case an interface vanishes?

Ciao, Marcus