Re: Linus's poll variation

From: Dan Kegel (dank@alumni.caltech.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 01 2000 - 11:29:48 EST

Lyle asked:
> Is someone working on Linus's poll variation discussed in this list a week ago?

I think the interface still needs some discussion.
The interface Linus proposed is IMHO oriented towards ease of
kernel implementation, and doesn't appear to be easy to use
for all applications.
cf. recent posts by John Gardiner Myers <jgmyers@netscape.com>
e.g.
http://boudicca.tux.org/hypermail/linux-kernel/2000week44/0966.html
http://boudicca.tux.org/hypermail/linux-kernel/2000week45/0212.html
IMHO kqueue()/kevent() is closer to what the apps want.

Mike Jagdis, however, has done some work on speeding up the
existing poll() system call, and has an eye on implementing
the /dev/poll interface. See
http://boudicca.tux.org/hypermail/linux-kernel/2000week45/0266.html
- Dan