Re: 2.2.18Pre Lan Performance Rocks!

From: Jeff V. Merkey (jmerkey@timpanogas.org)
Date: Tue Oct 31 2000 - 15:04:18 EST

Ingo Molnar wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Oct 2000, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
>

> All i did was to inform you that the next release of TUX is imminent and
> that you might want to take a look at the new code. You interpreted that
> in a very interesting way.

I seem to remember a "don't post this email on the list here's what's
up" message
from you I that I honored your instructions and did not post, nor will
I, but I recall
some reasonable suggestions from it. :-)

You are certainly free and welcome to take a
> look at any code and documentation released, but as visible in the past
> couple of email exchanges, our technical views about Linux networking
> scalability differ in fundamental ways.

I've been working on LAN scalability for almost 20 years, and NetWare
LAN performance vs. Linux (or TUX) speaks for itself. I would agree
that someone
coming from a Unix background would have radically different views than
someone
coming from the group who created the Networking industry that made
"LAN" a household
word to the world at large.

It's the differences of all those who work on Linux that make it such a
potent
mix of skills and views. I think this is a very good thing, and I take
your comment
as a compliment.

:-)

Jeff