Re: 2.2.X patch query (with initial PATCH against 2.2.17)

From: Dominik Kubla (dominik.kubla@uni-mainz.de)
Date: Tue Oct 31 2000 - 09:20:16 EST

On Tue, Oct 31, 2000 at 01:38:56PM +0000, Riley Williams wrote:
> Also, part of my plan was to check that the disk is already in this
> non-standard format, and refuse to dump if not. This would ensure that
> doing so didn't overwrite somebody's master boot disk by accident, as
> such disks will not normally be in this non-standard format.

Just write a magic number somewhere to the disk and mark these blocks
bad in the fat. Then just check if the blocks are marked as bad and
contain the magic number. No need for a special disk format per se...

Yours,
  Dominik Kubla

--
http://petition.eurolinux.org/index_html - No Software Patents In Europe!