Re: kqueue microbenchmark results

From: Gideon Glass (gid@cisco.com)
Date: Thu Oct 26 2000 - 04:16:28 EST

Jonathan Lemon wrote:

> Also, consider the following scenario for the proposed get_event():
>
> 1. packet arrives, queues an event.
> 2. user retrieves event.
> 3. second packet arrives, queues event again.
> 4. user reads() all data.
>
> Now, next time around the loop, we get a notification for an event
> when there is no data to read. The application now must be prepared
> to handle this case (meaning no blocking read() calls can be used).
>
> Also, what happens if the user closes the socket after step 4 above?

Depends on the implementation. If the item in the queue is the
struct file (or whatever an fd indexes to), then the implementation
can only queue the fd once. This also avoids the problem with
closing sockets - close() would naturally do a list_del() or whatever
on the struct file.

At least I think it could be implemented this way...

gid